MARRIED TO MR. ETHICAL

It's official.


The price of food, drinks, and candy at the movie theatre has surpassed the limit of reason.

Not that I usually buy much. A typical movie snack for me used to be a small Diet Coke with no ice and sometimes a treat like Sour Patch Kids (not those nasty Sour Jacks). Not anymore, though! Such a small pleasure would cost me almost $8 or more. And although I am not much of a movie theatre popcorn person, I know that there are many, many of you out there. Well, here's to hoping that you will all rise with me and decry the obscenity of such lofty prices! I mean, we just paid $7-12 to get in to see a (most likely) craptastic film, so why not soften the blow of a sappy, plotless romantic comedy with a little free Icee? Why not comfort my bleeding eyes, which came about from some superfluously flawed epic that crushed my inner-historian, with a cheap and cheesy nacho number? WHY NOT GIVE ME FREE FOOD OF WHATEVER APPEARS IN THE MOVIE SO THAT I HAVE THE BEST EXPERIENCE POSSIBLE?! Okay, so this is just on my mind because I would like it while watching Julie & Julia. Cheese souffle, anyone?

I know what some of you rascals are thinking. You are secretly sending me messages to sneak in my own snacks and screw the whole system. I mean, tons of people do that, right? Well, if you really think that this is a possibility for me, then you have not met my husband. He's what some might call "SUPER-ETHICAL." The other day we were at a Greek deli and next to the soda machine there was a little bucket with a sign requesting $0.25 for all refills. Now, I had just overpaid for the drink with my lunch, and refills are usually free on such premises. I thought that the soda sign was completely ridiculous, but my husband would not let me get the refill sans payment. So, you can already see that Baker would certainly never let me hide a little treat in my purse for movie-going occasions. Ergo, there can be only one conclusion for me. I am not going to be buying movie theatre refreshments anymore.

It's a small price to pay for such ridiculous prices.



2 comments:

Red August 12, 2009 at 12:11 PM  

Well you could do that...or go by yourself, bring a purse and have at it!

I have been packing drinks and snacks to our rare movie excursions forever (well since my college student ID that never expires stopped giving me a discount below $7 anytime!) and I know they can see what I'm bringing in...I'm not that slick. Now that I'm pregnant, I carry my waterbottle with me everywhere and no one says a thing - not even before I was showing! I just think that Sally who's selling me the ticket and Junior collecting the ticket stubs don't care. If they don't, why should I? :)

Douglas November 11, 2009 at 10:32 AM  

Good for Scott! A man with a well-formed conscience.

About the Blogger

Beeki recently graduated with an M.F.A. in Directing and has plans to conquer the world starting in Nashville, Tennessee. Her husband and two dogs provide much fodder for her random thoughts, as does her proclivity for trying to make sense of this farcical universe. Beeki finds humor in the small things, which should make this the most senseless blog ever. Enjoy!